CHANDLER, Ariz. – The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley (UTRGV) men’s golf team closes out the regular season when it tees it up at the Wyoming Cowboy Classic at Whirlwind Golf Club starting on Monday.
• Monday will feature 36 holes with a shotgun start at 9:30 a.m.
• The final round will be on Tuesday with a shotgun start at 9:30 a.m.
Golf Course Info
• Whirlwind Golf Club plays 7,218 yards long.
• The par for the course is 72.
• Will be playing on the Cattail Course at Whirlwind
• Boise State
• Cal State Fullerton
• Cal State Northridge
• Grand Canyon
• Northern Colorado
• Old Dominion
• Santa Clara
• Southern Utah
• Stephen F. Austin
• UC Davis
• UC Santa Barbara
• UT Arlington
• Utah State
• Utah Valley
• Weber State
• Wichita State
The Starting Lineup
• Alvaro Hernandez
• Henry Fisher
• Pedro Lamadrid
• Alex Summers
• Luca Portelli
Last Time Out
• UTRGV finished in fourth place at the Huntsville Toyota Bearkat Invitational.
• Posted rounds of 283, 284, and 306 for a three-round total of 873.
• Pedro Lamadrid finished tied for third after carding back-to-back-to-back rounds of two-under par 70 for a three-round score of 210.
• Henry Fisher and Alex Summers tied for 19th after turning in three-round scores of 222.
• Fisher posted rounds of 71, 73, and 78 while Summers turned in rounds of 73, 71, and 78.
• Luca Portelli tied for 33rd with a three-round score of 226 after posting rounds of 72, 74, and 80.
Last Year at Wyoming Cowboy Classic
• UTRGV did not compete in last year’s Cowboy Classic.
• UTSA won last year’s event with a three-round score of 842 after posting rounds of 281, 279, and 282.
• UTSA’s Sean Meehan won the individual title with a three-round score of 205 after carding rounds of 70, 67, and 68.
• Host, Wyoming, finished in third with two top-five finishes with a three-round score of 847.
• UTRGV set new program records for team individual single round score and individual single round score.
• UTRGV opened the Border Olympics with a 272 in the first round breaking the program record for team individual single round of 274 that was set back in the fall of 1990 at the UTPA Golf Classic.
• Alvaro Hernandez also broke the program record for individual single round score with a first round eight under par 64. He broke Andres Gonzalez’ record of 65 that was set back in the fall of 2015 at the HBU Husky Intercollegiate.
• His performance at the Border Olympics earned him WAC Golfer of the Week.
Winner, Winner Chicken Dinner
• UTRGV won the LaTour Intercollegiate to open the spring season with a three-round score of 869 (295, 286, 288)
• Tennoshin Ogawa was crowned co-champion after posting a career-best 213, which included a career-best second round four-under 68. It’s Ogawa’s first collegiate victory.
• UTRGV had all five in the lineup in the top-25.
• Alex Summers finished tied for fifth with a three-round score of 216.
• Pedro Lamadrid finished tied for 10th with a three-round score of 220.
• Alvaro Hernandez and Luca Portelli finished tied for 25th with a three-round score of 226.
• Apr. 27-29 @ WAC Championship